Regulated professions

Foreign qualifications in Sweden

Photo credit
Kristin Lidell/

Depending on your profession and academic background, you may need to have your qualifications recognised in order to work in Sweden.


Regulated professions

Some professions, for example within healthcare and law, are regulated through legislation and require a particular qualification or authorisation to practice in Sweden. If you would like to work in these professions you must contact the relevant authority and apply for the right to practice. The Swedish Council for Higher Education provides information on the various regulated professions and authorities to contact.  


Non-regulated professions

Many professions are non-regulated and it is not a requirement to have your foreign qualifications formally recognised. At the same time, the Swedish Council for Higher Education can provide you with a written statement you can use when applying for jobs. The statement may help a prospective employer to understand what you have studied by describing your qualification and comparing it to an equivalent Swedish qualification. For more information visit the Swedish Council for Higher Education website. 


Did you know...

Move to Gothenburg organises events, activities and programmes that can help you kick-start your private and professional lives in Sweden.

See our upcoming events >>